Meet Our Dolls

Meet Our Dolls
Click image to Meet Our Dolls! Contact us at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Kirsten

So, I recently acquired a Kirsten Doll.
Here she is from her eBay listing.

First thing I did was put her clothes in to soak.
Then Kirsten got a bath.
I put her in a plastic bag to protect her cloth body
while I washed her face, arms, legs and hair.

Her hair is pretty dry, so I am continuing to treat 
it with the wig conditioner.
Sadly her hair is a bit brittle.

 Here she is all fresh and clean.
 At this point I went away for the weekend
and Kirsten sat on my sewing table.

By the time I got back to work on her some other things I ordered for her had arrived!

AND HERE SHE IS!!

Kirsten had an amber heart as part of her
meet accessories, but I had this little amber cross
that I think is very pretty for her.

 There is a bit more shine in her hair.
She still has some fly-away hair but overall much better.

 Here she is with her braids tied up with ribbons.

Her meet dress was soaked in Fels-Naptha all weekend.
It came out fresh and clean. Then everything was pressed.

Here is Kirsten in her school dress and shawl.
(this is the first item I ordered for her)

These are not her original boots, but I thought they were SO cute!
(this was the second item I ordered for her)

 Here are her bloomers, there were some stains on them
and now the stains are barely visible.

And last but not least...
Kirsten's Pink Gingham Birthday Dress
  This is a dress we have had in our collection for quite awhile
 We did not have the original apron, so I made this one.

A doll friend asked if I was going to keep Kirsten in her time 
period or add her to my modern doll household.
I have been thinking a LOT about this - a bit of a challenge - 
and I think I am going to try and see what I can come up with.

It started me looking through some things I have already 
and these items I have set aside for Kirsten's cabin


 Hurricane lamp - of course

Painted dresser 

 Blue china and blue glass fish bottle.

 I think this is Samantha's bowl and pitcher but of course
still used by homesteaders.

 A wood hope chest.
I may add some painted details.

 Rocking chair

and baskets.

STAY TUNED


18 comments:

Julie Ann Newman said...

*From Julie's doll mom:*

Oh she looks so pretty in her new clothes! I really hope you rise to the challenge and keep her period accurate. Maybe you can work it into your storyline, like maybe someone reading the "Little House" books, (or maybe a story you make up, and they "imagine" the story unfolding in their heads). Maybe someone's great great great grandmother! So many possibilties!

Brenda and Sophie said...

I am thinking along the same lines! I have been trying to decide how to do this. I don't want her name to change, but I don't necessarily want her to be AG Kirsten. It's a dilemma!

Julie Ann Newman said...

*From Julie's doll mom:*

Well just because you wanna keep her period accurate doesn't mean you have to follow the AG storyline. I'm dying to see what you come up with!

Brenda and Sophie said...

True! I am thinking that Kirsten will be an ancestor of one of the dolls and they have to do a family tree for school when they discover....I don't know yet. Haha It will obviously have to be a continuing story. :)

Aunt Mimi said...

I recently aquired 3 Kirstens. I got one for my sister's granddaughter, 1 is for me, & 1 will be Mary to my Laura Ingalls doll. I ordered a basket from The Queen's Treasure. It came with a quilt & pillow. I plan on getting another one for Kirsten, but will probably use only the basket.

Anonymous said...

You did a great job with Kirsten. Enjoy her! Kirsten is my favorite American Girl.
Marion

Anonymous said...

Kirsten looks so lovely. Glad you had an opportunity to purchase Kirsten.
Marilyn

Flo said...

She looks great! I know what you mean about the whole keeping the history thing, I know I had some issues with that myself, particularly with Kit. That's why my historicals all still have their original names, I decided that they are descendants of the original characters. I like the idea of her being someone's ancestor. I loved what you did with Camellia's story line, it was really clever.

Brenda and Sophie said...

Wow Sharon! I wish I could see all your Kirstens! I am going to Queen's Treasures and check out what they've got. I have been tot he site before but a long time ago now.

Brenda and Sophie said...

Thanks Marion! I am very happy with Kirsten and now my brain is full of plans!

Brenda and Sophie said...

Thanks Marilyn, I must say I am very happy with how Kirsten looks. I think her hair needs some deep conditioning. I am considering a downy dunk. The spray conditioner just doesn't seem to be doing the trick. More research may be needed.

Brenda and Sophie said...

Thanks Flo, I am so happy I got her! Yes, I am struggling with how to work Kirsten's story in and what form her cabin will take. I am definitely going to do something like what I did with Camelia, but something ongoing. I have seen some great cardboard backdrops for Kirsten's cabin, but I am thinking of something more sturdy, that could be in an outside setting and look authentic. At the same time I must really consider whether I have the space for storing something like that. My brain is in a whirl of ideas.

Anonymous said...

Once again you have worked your magic! Kirsten is going to be very happy living with you and I know she is going to love her room with all those beautiful acessories. I'm looking forward to seeing her story unfold.
Fawn

Brenda and Sophie said...

Thank you Fawn! You know how I like to do makeovers. I am busy figuring out what form Kirsten's cabin will take and how her story will begin.

Jan Conwell said...

You've done so well with her. Kirsten is my favorite AG doll.

Brenda and Sophie said...

Thank you Jan, so many people have said that Kirsten is their favorite> She is quickly becoming mine as well. :)

Anonymous said...

Your Kirsten is really pretty. Looks like you did a great job with her restoration. If her hair was once dry, it looks as if you've resolved that issue as a lot of sheen is now showing up in the photos.

What you've collected for her looks like a lot of fun! Sometimes the things that I've enjoyed the most in my collection have been DIY items.

Enjoy your new doll!

Brenda and Sophie said...

Thank you! I am very pleased with her. I am continuing to condition her hair and see if I can improve it some more. I really enjoy making things and finding thrift store items for the dolls. Those are my favorite things as well.